Monday, September 28, 2009

1 down, 60 to go



Well getting to my final destination couldn't be easier. The fight was on time and smooth, Gunter was right there at the airport with my name written on a sign, and the 3 hour drive from the airport to Grunbach was nice.

So much for the flight being 80% full and me having an empty seat next to me. I think there wasn't an empty seat in the house. I sat next to an American guy, probably in his 50's. We didn't say two words to each other the whole 8 hour plane ride. That's fine with me. The flight went by really fast even though I didn't get any sleep. I did watch Xmen Origins and Angels and Demons. Food was good and practically no turbulence.

Immigration and customs took no time at all. After I got through customs I had to find Gunter. There were a lot of people with signs but it took me 15 seconds to find him. Then we had a 3 hour drive home. Conversation moved along and he understood mostly everything I said.

Their house is really nice but not yet finished. See picture from above. For lunch we had pumpkin soup, a potato and hamburger and for dinner we had hot dogs. The shower has good pressure and gets hot. So no complaints there.

This afternoon Gerinde, Michael and Richard drove me around town. They showed me where the train station was, where the bus station was and we even stopped for ice cream in old town Freistadt. I even caught my first Pez sighting, although it was just for candy and no dispensers.

The whole family has been very nice to me. Michael loved the Ravens jersey I got him and put it on as soon as he got it. He also talks to me in German like I have a clue what he is saying. We also went to visit Gerlinde's mom and sisters house (or should I say farm). They have 14 cows, numerous chickens, a rabbit, and bees. They also have lots of fruit trees. I had a couple plums and some raspberries.

I'm sure I'm missing more from today but it's seem like its been going on forever. Now it is time for me to get some sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment