Friday, November 27, 2009

Last Day

Hey guys, I hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving. I can't believe I am sitting here writing my 2nd to last blog (I will write my final blog back in the USA giving my final thoughts). It just seems like yesterday I was sitting here writing my first blog entry. The past 60 days have gone by sooooooo fast.

My final week was pretty quiet. On Tuesday I went to Linz for the day to buy some gifts. On Wednesday morning I paid my last visit to a school. I was there for a couple hours then I met Guenter, Gerlinde, Michael and Richard for lunch. I wanted to take them out as a thank you for being such amazing hosts. We went to Venezia, an italian restaurant that has HUGE portions. Gerlinde and Guenter each got a pizza and I went with the Weinerschnitzel. I felt like I can eat pizza anywhere in America but Weinerschnitzel is pretty hard to come by.

On Thursday I helped Gerlinde get ready for the big Thanksgiving dinner she was to prepare. She was having over her friend Maria, her husband Kanchi (remember, that Japanese guy I went on the Ferris wheel with in Linz, man I never thought I'd say that sentence once let alone twice!!!!!), and Gerlinde's mother. Gerlinde went all out for this Thanksgiving celebration She took out the table cloth, lit candles al over the house and I never saw the house so clean. Since Gerlinde never made turkey before she decided to make chicken instead. It was just as good. She also made, mashed potatoes, stuffing, carrots, corn, and cranberry sauce. For dessert her friend made Apple Cake and we ate it was ice cream. After dinner she said this is a holiday for giving thanks and then she gave me a bag with some presents and said that she was for thankful for having me be her "son" for the past two months. It was very sweet and thoughtful of her. In the bag were some sweets, a cookbook (Austrian meals, but in English. I told her I am going to learn to cook when I get home and I mean it) and a picture collage she made (pictures of me and the family) which looks so perfect.

Today (Friday) I am just spending some time with the family and going to pack this afternoon. I hate packing, and I feel like I am definitely leaving with more stuff than I came with. I ended up with 35 new pez. Super excited about that. We have to wake up at 4:30 tomorrow morning and leave by 5am. It's about a 3 hour drive to Vienna so that should put me there by 8. My flight leaves at 10:45 Austrian time and arrives back in DC at 3:00pm EST. Michael is going to drive with Guenter and I to the airport because he has never been before and is excited to see the big planes.

Well I am signing off now from Austria. Stay tuned in a couple days for a final blog entry from America!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment