Thursday, October 15, 2009

Another Day of School

Hello all, so Gerlinde dropped me off at school around 1:15. One of the classes I visited on Monday also takes cooking classes. They wanted me to come in today so they each could make some food and then they could tell me about it in English. Their professor thought it was a brilliant idea (the professor studied English in England for a year). So the professor and I walked into the service room and the students (I guess there were about 16 of them) had the table all set up for us. As we took our seats the students began to explain what we were having. They had a little trouble explaining but the teacher helped them out. For lunch we had a pasta salad, hard boiled eggs, cheese, vegetables, a potato spread, schnitzel, smoked pork, bread (whole grain and white), and apple juice. Most of the students made these items, even the apple juice. And most of the ingredients the students used were stuff from their own farms and gardens. It was very very good. After we ate lunch the class and I went to the kitchen in the school. The professor wanted me to go through different items and tell the class what they were in English. Little did she know I have been living with by myself for over 4.5 years and I have not once made a meal in my kitchen. Luckily I knew most of the basics like sink, fork, knife, oven, pot, pan, etc. All of you are going to be very impressed with one of the items I knew. They pulled out a meat tenderizer and I knew what it was. The professor didn't even know the English name for it. After going through many many items we went back to the service room for dessert. There we had Linzetorte and Sachertorte. Both were very good. After class the professor took me back home. On the way home she thanked me very much saying the students really enjoy having me there. That means a lot and I am so glad I have had this opportunity to not only volunteer at someone's house but also at a school. And I really think the students do appreciate me coming in because all this evening I have been getting random friend requests on facebook from the students in the class today. They all thank me for coming in and tell me how much fun it was with me in there.

The teachers are even starting to fight over who gets me. Tomorrow (friday) I will go with one teacher for the 1st and 3rd period, then I will go with another teacher for the 4th period and finally I'll go with the final teacher for the 5th period. So tomorrow will be another busy day at school but that is fine with me. I really enjoy going.

Here is something I probably should have wrote about a couple weeks ago. As it turns out I live in a "suburb" of Grunbach (if you can believe a town of 1,800 has suburbs). The village I live in is called Helbetschlag. There can't be more than 200-300 peope in Helbetschlag. And in all the villages there aren't any street names. The street name is the town you live in. So my address is 66 Helbetschlag. If you lived in Lichtaneu your address would be 32 Lictaneu. Some of the bigger towns, like Freistadt, will have street names but none of the small villages do. Anyway I just that that was cool.

Alright well I will probably have a lot to write about tomorrow so if you keep reading, I'll keep writing.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete