Monday, October 12, 2009

Back To School



Hello to all my trackers, but not followers, out there. You know who you are.

Can you believe the Ravens lost yesterday? They couldn't beat the Bengals at home. That is very embarrassing. I mean where is the pass rush? At the end of last year we said, we just needed a rusher that could get to Big Ben. So we drafted Paul Kruger in the second round of the draft. He has been inactive for 4 games. I don't get it. Who cares if he doesn't play special teams. Anyway Sunday was a pretty quiet day except for the Ravens game at night.

Last week Gerlinde contacted her cousin, Helga (who is an IT teacher at a secondary school (I think that is what they call it, they tried to explain to me their school system but it was too confusing)), about me coming into the school and visiting some of the English classes. Helga talked to the English teachers and they decided that today (Monday) would be a good day to come in. Helga picked me up at 7:30 so we could be at school by 8. When we got to school Helga introduced me to Sandra, one of the English teachers, and she was delighted that I was there. I went with Sandra to her 1st class. Her 1st class was her most advanced English class, they were level 5 (meaning they were going to graduate next June). She had me introduce myself and then she paired the students up so they could come up with questions to ask me. I answered their questions and asked some in return. This went on for about the remainder of class. After class we went to Sandra's next class, where it was the same routine. This class was a little bit younger and had a little bit less English lessons. After class we had a break and went to the teachers' lounge. There Sandra talked to another English teacher, Ava, and she wanted me to stop by her next class for 20 minutes to have a question and answer session. So after the break I went with Ava to her class for 20 minutes then I went to Sandra's 3rd class for the remainder of the time. For the rest of class it was the same routine. This 3rd class is in the home economics tract at the school and Sandra thought it was a good idea if I come in Thursday and the students make me all this food. I think it sounds like fun and will blog about it later. After this class we went to Sandra's final class of the day. This class is at the beginning of their English lessons although most of them could ask questions pretty well. Some of the questions I heard today include: Do you like Barak Obama? (i believe every class asked this one) Do I like Austrian food? Do I have any brothers or sisters? Do I like tennis? Where in the USA am I from? What did I pick Austria? Why am I so sexy (just kidding they didn't ask that but I know they were definitely thinking it, ok maybe not). Also, the 3rd English teacher wants me to come in Friday so I can visit her class. All in all I think the teachers and the students were very happy that I came today. Sandra said there is nothing better than a native speaker coming to their class. I also had a good day and am looking forward to going back and helping the students.

After school today I had lunch and yes it was McDonalds. They got the Jalapeno burger at the McDonalds here and it was very good. I stayed there for a lil because they have free wifi and I had to wait until the bus came. While walking to the bus I saw the most incredible rainbow ever. I didn't have my camera on me so I had to take a picture from my cell phone and it just doesn't do it justice. I have a larger photo I can send via email if anyone is interested.

Tomorrow I go to Linz to meet with the Austrian Program Director for the exchange program for an orientation.

Oh, they are also calling for snow this weekend. I'm not a fan.

3 comments:

  1. how much was this said jalapeno burger?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it cost 6.20 euros which is about $9.00. Jalapenos are expensive over here I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So what did you say when they asked you about Barack? :) When we were in Turkey, I swear every person (Turkish, Japanese, Croatian, German) we met asked us about Barack. Even if they spoke no English, when they found out we were Americans it was always "BARACK OBAMA!" and a thumbs up. haha.

    ReplyDelete