Friday, October 2, 2009

Day Number 4


After breakfast and lunch (for lunch I had Speckknödel (dumplings with pieces of bacon), this meal is popular in the Tyrol region in Austria) (editors correction, i had Spatzle a type of egg noodles and small dumplings found in the cuisine of Germany and regions of neighboring Austria) Gerlinde dropped me off in Freistadt. I was on a mission, a pez mission. And let me tell you this - mission accomplished. I bought a couple European Pez at the grocery store. I can go home a happy man now. After going to the grocery store I just walked around Freistadt for a little bit. After walking around I took the bus back to the house for the first time. It was really a piece of cake or shall I say strudel.

Once I returned to the house, Gerlinde, the children and I went to Michael's teachers house. Gunter and Gerlinde are really going out of their way to introduce me to a lot of their English speaking friends. The teacher has goats (which they use for milk and cheese), chickens and even 1 turkey. She lived in the USA for 3 years a long time ago. She worked herself across the country. She made chocolate muffins for us, they were good.

At 9pm, Gerlinde's sister, Ingrid (see pic above), her boyfriend, Konrad (see pic above), their friend Alex (he was the Austrian version of AI, Beth, Bev and mom know who I mean), and a coworker of Ingrid, Petra went out to a club in Linz called A1. It opens at 10 and closes at 4. We stayed until 2. It was a lot of fun there. Alcohol is definitely a lot more expensive in Austria. I drank Heineken and it cost 4.5euros which is about $6. Here is something different, we took a shot of tequila and instead of pouring salt on your hand they used cinnamon. Ingrid said you use cinnamon because it was a gold tequila. Maybe I'm just out of the loop when it comes to drinking. Conrad was drinking coke with white wine. I tasted it and it was pretty good. The club itself was made up of 3 rooms (2 music rooms and a bar). One end played (as the club described it) house, techno and black music. The other end played oldies, 80s, 90s and pop music (songs I heard in this room include: the twist, grease lighting, and surfing USA).

No comments:

Post a Comment